Thursday, July 21, 2011

21-7-2011 TERMINAL ILLNESS



The Great Protection of Vajrayana
by Living Buddha Sheng-yen Lu
TERMINAL ILLNESS
I have to admit that I always advise sick people to consult doctors first. Only when the doctors cannot diagnose their conditions, then I allow them to check with me.
I must admit that even if I am consulted, these terminal illnesses might not necessarily be cured, although there was quite a number of miraculous healing when I expressed my hopes.
At least they still have a chance to be alive when they come to see me!
“In fact, there is no immortal in this world. Those who are seldom sick, and those who pass away without any sickness are people with little unwholesome karma. On the other hand, people with a lot of unwholesome karma will suffer from illness all life long. We know even Sakyamuni Buddha – the enlightened one had suffered from three kinds of illness. He had migraine, stomach ulcer and pain in the spinal cord. A saint like Sakyamuni Buddha still had to suffer from illness, let alone the common folks, how can we are free from sickness?”
If you are ill and you consult Sakyamuni Buddha, you may not necessarily recover.
If you get better after seeing me, then that is your luck.
I have written the following before----
I suffered from eye disease since my childhood. Whenever there was wind and light, my eyes would feel painful, and I had to use eye drops all the time. So I started chanting the holy words “Namo Guan Shi Yin Pu Sha’. (Homage to Avalokitesvara)
One night, I dreamed of an old lady who took out some medicine from her pocket and applied it on my eyes. From then on, my eye disease was completely healed. Later on, I came to know that the old lady was just the manifestation of the most compassionate Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara.
The dream was vivid that I can still recall it in great detail. It happened when I was staying in the boarding house of the surveying school. Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara had cured me. I was lucky as the eye disease plagued me for many years.
During Buddha’s era, there was a story: A woman, whose only child died of sickness and was deserted by her husband. She was very sad, and wanted to end her own life. She believed that Sakyamuni Buddha had the mystic power to revive her child’s life, so she carried the child’s body to see the Buddha. She pleaded with the Buddha to help her, otherwise she would not believe that Buddha had mystic power and she would have considered Buddha’s enlightenment a fake.
First, Sakyamuni Buddha asked her to find a family who has not experienced death. Then she had to obtain from the family a mustard seed before he could revive the child’s life.
The woman visited many families but she could not find one family without experiencing death in the past.
At last the woman realized human beings must die, for immortality does not exist. It is impossible to resurrect the dead.
This woman finally became a nun. Sakyamuni Buddha told her: “Sickness is unavoidable, so is death. Buddhism teaches us the truth of life, so that we can transcend sickness, death, and all other sufferings in life”.
I have written three paragraphs before this short article to explain the following:
1. Sickness is considered a “fixed” karma, so is death. Remember it is fixed.
2. I cannot save those who are suffering from sickness stemmed from serious past unwholesome karma and those who are destined to die.
3. Those who are fated to be cured and saved will be cured and saved by me.
4. Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara really cured my eye disease.
5. I have mastered the Dharmic power possessed by Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara, likewise I can enter another person’s dream and cure his sickness.
6. I have saved many lives.
7. I only tried to treat those patients who were abandoned by their doctors. Patients suffering from sickness that is not terminal should be treated by doctors.
8. If you had consulted many doctors and did not get any result and you are desperate, then take refuge in me (Living Buddha Lian-Sheng), that is the only hope.
Let me quote a letter to prove this point: On 20th October, I went for ultrasonic scanning again. The doctor said the size of the lump was 8.1 cm by 8.5 cm (It was 9 cm by 9.3 cm on 18th September). I was very happy that it was shrinking. Thanks for your empowerment, Grand Master.
On 26th September, I dreamed that grandmaster asked me to take some medicine for my sickness, and he also told me that the medicine would be very strong such that I would feel like flying. But I did not feel so after taking the medicine. Then grandmaster admitted that he should have given me the medicine that cost sixty dollars rather than the twenty dollars – which was not so powerful. He took out sixty dollars from his pocket and asked me to buy another dose. But I was too shy to take his money. Grandmaster then left me, smiling all the way.
I regretted what I had done when I woke from my dream. I wonder if I use my own money, the efficacy of the medicine will be the same? I wish to thank grandmaster for his empowerment, may everything be perfect! Thank you once again!
This letter proved that:
1. Empowerment can reduce the size of a malignant tumor.
2. Medicine was given by the grandmaster in the dream.
3. Although it was a dream, vivid details can be recalled.
4. Everything was perfect and auspicious as indicated.
I take special care for disciples who are suffering from sickness. During consultation, preference is given to those who are suffering from illness. Why? Because I believe the most unbearable thing in life is the suffering from sickness.
Those who are sick, if they always think of me, the grandmaster whom they took refuge in, if they always recite my name, or chant my heart mantra “Om Guru Lian Sheng Siddhi Hum”. I shall appear in front of them, giving them medicine, empowering them, so that they will be safe and sound. They will be healthy and free from sickness.
I am a Tantric cultivator who was told by Sakyamuni Buddha to come to this samsara world to carry out salvation mission.
It was mentioned in four-division Vinaya: Buddha said: “From now on, you must take good care of the sick. If you wish to make an offering to me, it is better to offer it to the sick”.
Brahmajala Sutra had the following to say: “As a Buddhist, we must treat sick people as if they are Buddhas. Taking care of the sick qualifies as the first merit in the eight types of merit cultivation. A Buddhist must take good care and attend to those who are sick including their parents, teachers, monks, disciples and other handicapped people who are suffering from all kinds of problem’.
From the sutra of Root vows of Ksitigarba: “In future, on seeing the aged, the sick and women on the verge of giving birth; if the kings and Brahmins became very compassionate and give medicine, drink, food, beds to them to make them feel comfortable, the welfare they have provided will be immeasurable”.
Zhen Fa Nian Chu Sutra mentioned: “Giving medicine to and curing the sick, one will be reborn in Desire Heaven and enjoy the five kinds of pleasure”. Once the life in the heaven is exhausted, if one is reborn as human being, one will be very wealthy. Giving honey and ice water to a thirsty dying person, one will be reborn in the ‘Qing Liang’ (clean and cool) heaven and enjoy the bliss in the heaven. Once the life in the heaven is exhausted, one will be reborn as human being and will never experience hunger and thirst.
Sakyamuni Buddha took good care of the sick. When he was still alive, he personally cleaned the bodies of old monks who were sick, applied medicine on them, and consoled them. The Buddha set a good example for others to follow. This shows the benevolence of Buddhism: We cannot be apathetic.
A person suffering from AIDS once came to seek my help. Franking speaking, there are many AIDS victims in the US, westerners as well as chinese. Although I have read many medical reports on this terminal disease – AIDS, I am still very puzzled by it. We know AIDS is transmitted through blood contamination. What about saliva?
Some doctors said it wouldn’t, while others said it was possible. There are all kinds of arguments, but there was no true answer.
The sick man told me: “Living Buddha Lian-Sheng, I know you have all kinds of mystic powers, you have saved many patients, I truly believe you will be able to cure my AIDS!”
I said: “I have learned from Taoist Master Chin Zhen, the way to draw talismans that can be used to cure all kinds of sickness. Although my teacher was an expert in Taoism and Tantrayana, and he taught me all he knew, I do not know how to cure AIDS by means of talisman”. (When my teacher was alive, there was no AIDS disease)
The sick man then asked: “Living Buddha aren’t you capable of asking Gods and devils to help you?” “Yes”. “Why don’t you ask them?” “I can ask them, but their understanding is limited to matters concerning them. Sometimes they are very ignorant. “Living Buddha, how do you propose to save my life?” “I really do not know how to help you!” I felt sorry for him. “Living Buddha, haven’t you vowed to save all sentient beings? How can you leave me- an AIDS victim alone?” “But………” I was dumbfounded.
I remember the ten taboos I have to observe when drawing “Zhu Yu” school of talisman.
1. Not sincere, not respectful and full of doubt.
2. Drawing the talisman with dirty hand, and reciting the mantra with smelly mouth.
3. Exploring for fun.
4. Motivated by greed and money, and have no regard for human lives.
5 Slander the “Divine doctor” and neglect the heavenly talisman.
6. Fooling around after getting drunk and let the woman play with the tailsman.
7. Telling lies, and having evil thoughts.
8. Sneezing and coughing, and dirtying the talisman.
9. Letting others play with the talisman, and bullying the sick.
10. Perfunctorily drawing a talisman for other purposes.
The healing mantra is as follows: (In classical Chinese)
“Hun hun dun dun. Tian di he fen. Wei chang bai cao. Huang di zhi en. Qi ging liu yu. Nei zao wai xing. Yu mei wu zhi. Hun hun chen chen. Bai cao wu ling. Si qi chen chen. Ku zhi xuan yuan, fu zhuo tong ling. Nei xing gong guo. Wei mian lao xing. Bai nian he yi. Xin shen shu ning. Wu feng tai shang yuan shi chi bei tian zhun ji ji lu lue ling li”.
I remember the mantra of ‘Divine doctor’: “Jie di, jie di, tian yi sheng di (divine doctor and the saint emperor), hao sheng zhi de (the virtue of loving human beings), de yi tian qi (as great as the heaven). Yi qie ji bing (all kinds of sickness), qi dao bian qi (healing after the spirit arrives), wu feng tian yi shang ren ji ji ru lu ling chi. (by the decree of divine doctor – the supreme being, carry out the instruction as requested as soon as possible).
The man who was suffering from AIDS was so respectful to me. And I have made a vow not to abandon any sentient being.
I know there is a place called “Divine dispensary” located at the residence of Divine doctor – the supreme being. This is a secret known only to me, Living Buddha Lian-Sheng, Master Lu Sheng Yen. Divine doctor and other guards are responsible for the safe keeping of all the elixirs.
In the divine dispensary, there are remedies, which can cure all types of sickness found in this samsaric world. Beings who live in the heavenly realm have the virtue of having saved the lives of others. The dispensary is also an expedient way to show their kindness!
I told him: “ I will guide you to a place where you can find a cure for your AIDS”. “Where?” “The Divine Dispensary”. “How to go there?” “I will draw a crane talisman for you to drink. Tonight you will be able to visit the Divine Dispensary. On the way, you will pass a treasure. But don’t be greedy, remember your mission there is to take the cure for AIDS, not other treasure. You have only one chance!”
After that, I gave him a special empowerment.
That night, he really had a dream. Mounting on a crane, he flew to a Divine gate. The gate opened automatically, he moved in slowly. When he looked up, he saw all kinds of glittering treasure around. Forgetting that he was supposed to pick up the cure for his terminal sickness AIDS, he filled his pockets with all he can pick.
When he finally reached the dispensary, the door was shut as the opening hours were over. As the crane was still around, he mounted on the crane and made his return trip. Then he woke up from his dream. All the treasure he collected had disappeared, he rushed to see me.
“Living Buddha, I want to go another time, I promised not to be greedy!”
“You only had one chance, this is a mistake of a lifetime”.
“What happened to all the treasure?”
“They are from the heaven, of course they will return to where they came from”.
“Living Buddha, please give me another chance!”
I was more or less coerced to draw him another crane talisman.
But the second crane talisman was ineffective. Without the assistance of crane in the dream, he was unable to ascend to the heaven.
I came to realise: Suffering from certain kind of sickness is predestined. It is also fated whether the sickness can be cured.
Likewise, the amount of wealth which we could amass, our fortune, the amount of salary, we could earn in this life are all predestined, we could not really change them. Our ‘fate’ can only be changed by our very own mind – the so-called destiny of our life.
 

Amituofo
Lotuschef
Pure Karma
True Buddha School

No comments:

Post a Comment